The Rural Fire Service (RFS) has a wide range of roles available to individuals wishing to volunteer their time. Without our volunteers we would not be able to provide a service to rural and remote Queensland.
There are a diverse range of roles within the RFS that would suit an extensive variety of people, recognising that individuals have different skills and backgrounds. Please find below brief descriptions of the roles, you can also click through to access complete role descriptions.
For more information on joining a brigade or the type of assistance you can offer, contact your local brigade through your local area office. Please click here
to source contact details for your local Area Office.
- First Officer - A First Officer leads the
brigade in all operational aspects
- Team Leader (Primary Producer Brigade only) - A Team Leader provides
direction and leadership during brigade operations in the absence of the First
Officer or other officers (Team Leader positions only apply to Primary Producer
- Brigade Officer - A Brigade officer leads the fire brigade in all operational aspects.
- Crew Leader - A Crew Leader leads the firefighters. They are usually experienced firefighters who have been trained to watch out for signs of danger.
- Senior Firefighter - A Senior Firefighter helps
protect their community’s people and assets from the destructive force of fire.
- Firefighter - A Firefighter helps protect
their community’s people and assets from the destructive force of fire.
- Chairperson - A Chairperson manages the
rural fire brigade, ensuring that the brigade is being run effectively and
objectives are being attained.
- Secretary - A Secretary supports their rural fire brigade by taking responsibility for ensuring that the administration of the brigade is managed appropriately.
- Treasurer - A Treasurer supports their
rural fire brigade by taking responsibility for ensuring that the brigade’s
finances are managed appropriately.
(Volunteers are required to complete the necessary training prior to taking on a number of these roles)