View News Item
WATCH AND ACT Message for bushfire in the Miles area (south west Queensland) as at 5pm
4/12/2012 5:01:30 PM
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) is advising residents in the vicinity of the Miles, Hookswood, Columboola and Burncluith areas to finalise their bushfire plans and prepare for a bushfire in their area.
At 5pm a large fast-moving bushfire was located in the Hookswood and Myall Park District. The large fire is travelling in a north-north easterly direction and is expected to impact the areas of Hookswood Road in Miles, Pelham Road in Hookswood, Boort-Koi Road and Ryalls Road in Columboola and V Bells Road in Burncluith in the next six to 24 hours.
Residents are advised to finalise their bushfire plans and be prepared to relocate to a safer area if required. Leaving is the safest option for survival in a bushfire.
Well prepared and defended homes can offer safety during the fire and may be defendable.
Currently, twelve fire crews and two water bombing aircraft are working to contain the blaze but firefighters may not be able to protect every affected property and residents should not expect a firefighter at their door.
Residents are advised to call Triple Zero (000) if their property comes under threat.
Firefighters are currently doorknocking in the area and voluntary evacuations have been conducted.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
• Put on protective clothing
• Drink lots of water
• Move car/s to a safe location
• Close windows and doors and shut blinds
• Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
• Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
• Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
• Seal all gaps under doors and screens
• Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
• Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
• Have generator or petrol pump ready
• Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the QFRS Rural Operations website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or at www.fire.qld.gov.au or by listening to their local radio station. For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html .
Contact for media enquiries: DCS media unit on (07) 3635 3310.